Day 39 of #LiveWell2017
“Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.” – Henry James
For the next seven days, I’m going to focus on kindness…and today we’re going to start with how to be kind to yourself. Why? Because it’s really hard to be kind to other living beings when you aren’t being kind to yourself. Have you ever made a mistake and then just totally beat yourself up about it? Telling yourself you are a loser and unworthy is not going to fix the mistake, but it is going to play havoc with your mood and your mind.
I have a good friend who reminds me often to take care of myself first. She’s right. When I am happy and healthy, I am much better at helping my family and friends when they need me. Being kind to yourself doesn’t mean being selfish; it means taking care of your mind, body, and spirit so you feel strong and happy and can face challenges and change when they arise.
So, here are five ways to show yourself a little love so you can spread that love to others…
- Stop comparing yourself to others. You are unique. You have your own strengths. No one on earth can be you better than you.
- Give yourself some props. Take a few minutes to write down the things you do well, the things you appreciate about yourself, the things that make you who you are.
- Watch what you say. Whether aloud or silently, those words you say to and about yourself impact how you feel and act. Say nice words, kind words to yourself. Stay positive.
- Surround yourself with positive people. If you work where everyone is always complaining and unhappy or if you’re in a relationship with someone who criticizes you all the time, you are going to absorb all that negative energy into your own being. Get out of those situations. Ditch toxic relationships and environments. Make space for yourself to be with positive people.
- Pamper yourself. Soak in a hot bath. Take five minutes each morning to breathe in happy thoughts. Go for a walk in the woods. Make it a priority to treat your physical self with exercise, healthy food, and a good night’s sleep.
In what ways are you kind to yourself? How do you take care of you?